Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Memorializing the My Space dead - a new website

CNN reported the birth of http://www.mydeathspace.com/, a website that archives the pages of deceased MySpace members. I've visited the site and found it as addictive as we all know celebrity magazines can be. But is the intoxication of "peering into" these "stranger's lives" any different from unearthing a mummy's tomb? I endorse cemetery archeology and, for the sake of history and knowledge, I have no problem with digging up our ancestors, even our more recent relatives.

I love cemeteries for their architecture and serenity, but a corpse is a piece of rotting flesh and the sacred tomb is a tool for the living to mourn their immediate dead. I'd love to dig up one of my Civil War ancestors and see what he wore to his grave. Maybe dig out the bullet that killed him (or pick it up from the bottom of the casket) and have it enshrined at the Library of Congress. I wouldn't mind if someone dug me up 150 years from now. Well, a girl can dream.

No comments: