Friday, February 1, 2008

Towards Understanding Anger

Anger Management

The excellent blog site AIN'T CHRISTIAN informed me about GRETA CHRISTINA's new essay about ATHEISTS AND ANGER. Considering our current editorial debates, I thought this might be helpful to the discussion.

One of the most common criticisms lobbed at the newly-vocal atheist community is, "Why do you have to be so angry?" So I want to talk about:

1. Why atheists are angry;

2. Why our anger is valid, valuable, and necessary;

And 3. Why it's completely fucked-up to try to take our anger away from us.

One of her lamentations:

I'm angry that the 41st President of the United States, George Herbert Walker Bush, said of atheists, in my lifetime, "No, I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God." My President. No, I didn't vote for him, but he was still my President, and he still said that my lack of religious belief meant that I shouldn't be regarded as a citizen.

The Beast?

One of her reasons:

Because anger has driven every major movement for social change in this country, and probably in the world. The labor movement, the civil rights movement, the women's suffrage movement, the modern feminist movement, the gay rights movement, the anti-war movement in the Sixties, the anti-war movement today, you name it... all of them have had, as a major driving force, a tremendous amount of anger. Anger over injustice, anger over mistreatment and brutality, anger over helplessness.

Anger For Liberty

Atheists and Anger - Great Christina's Blog

Atheists and Anger - Good Reasons - Ain't Christian

No comments: